Sunday, October 9, 2011

just say no

Lately i have experiencing something that has been foreign to me for quite awhile.

The scenario? 
Saying no to dates.

I think having a boyfriend deterred all the weirdos from constantly asking me out, 
but now that i don't have that little safety net to keep them out, 
i have to do it the hard way.
The real way.
The way you're supposed to do it.

I have to flat out,
SAY NO.

Multiple boys have asked me on dates in the past two weeks.

You would think i would say:
WOOHOO! YAY ME! I AM LOVED!

Instead it's more of a:
Well this is grand,now i get to break his little heart.

Take for example this total hypothetical situation that would never happen with "Rick." 
(Names have been changed to protect the innocent)
Rick is 25 years old and lives with his parents, he works with me at my minimum wage job and doesn't seem to have a plan for his life. He doesn't know how to interact with people and consequently,
Rick doesn't socialize with hardly anybody else at work, but for some reason he is always inclined to make small talk with me. 
While it is fine at work, it starts to become a problem when he hands me a paper, asks for my number, and then proceeds to call my home phone everyday the next week.

LADIES THIS IS WHERE WE MUST BE STRONG.
Would it be better to go on a date with Rick to make him feel like someone loves him, and to help him feel accepted in the world? 
NO NO NO NO NO.
WRONG.
Because unless you want to end up going on more pity dates until you have a pity wedding & create pity babies, then you are going to have to break it to him sometime that you are just not interested. 
And in my opinion, sooner is better than later.

And while it may be sad & upsetting. You'll get over it. he'll get over it. And then you will have more time to go on that date and snuggle up with that cutie that keeps flirting with you. 

Win win! ...For you!

2 comments: