Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Strep Got You Down?

I promise I am not constantly sick. It's just that lately my luck hasn't been the best. 

Today I am enjoy the view of my ceiling as I not-so-much enjoy the aches of my seemingly frail body.

I am prone to strep throat. I get it at least once a year, and for some reason I do kinda blame my dad's genetics because he has the exact same problem as me. {Love you Daddy!} So yesterday morning when I cleared my throat as my alarm clock went off, I knew what was coming. It was the oh so familiar feeling that my throat was rubbed raw. I proceeded to go to work. {Which, by the way, was a nightmare! Please don't go "back to school" shopping the day before school starts.} And spent the entire day trying to soothe my tonsils. 

We had a little family BBQ last night in which I kept scarfing down chips, since they felt so good scratching my throat. That was a mistake. Besides the itchy-ness of my throat, I went to bed pretty content, and made up my mind that strep was not knocking on my door this time! 

Wrong.

Today was so much worst, complete with the whole package of fever and chills, and achy bones. Plus my throat felt about 1,989 times worse than it did yesterday. {Did you catch that awesome Taylor Swift reference?? OCTOBER 27TH!}

LONG STORY SHORT, if you suffer from chronic sore throat/tonsil problems/strep, I want to share my remedy with you!


What you need:

1 Cup warm water
1 TBSP salt
Any brand of throat spray

Directions:

Mix salt and warm water together, until the salt has been dissolved. 
Gargle small amounts of your salt solution for as long as you can, then spit, and repeat until glass is empty.
Use the throat spray 1-2 times, holding it in your mouth for 15 seconds and then spitting out. Make sure you don't drink or eat directly after doing this as you want it to stick.

I've found that this helps keep my itchy-ness down for a good hour or so. (:

PS: Does anybody has experience getting their tonsils out? Comment below with your thoughts!

1 comment:

  1. Yuck, I am so sorry that you're sick! That is the worst, especially having to suffer through sickness and work! My husband always tells me to gargle salt water whenever my throat is feeling yucky, but it sounds too gross to me! I promise I will try it the next time I'm feeling under the weather!
    I've never had my tonsils out, but it sounds like you'd be an excellent candidate for having them removed. I'd do it if I were you, especially if you get strep throat frequently. It's probably worth not having to be sick as often!

    ReplyDelete